The Remenant of the Cell
- "Big" Aleksander Pietrovich Kerenski
- An old priest and member of the Closed Book, he has
encountered much of the darkness the north hides. He is know for being
opinionated, frank and direct. Big Aleksander has travelled through
much of the Orthodox lands and has not been afraid to travel into the
more moderate Solderan areas.
- "Little" Aleksander Patrevski
- An orphan adopted by Big Aleksander and who became the older
man's acolyte and protector. Although not necessarily as educated or
skilled in the oratorical arts Little Aleksander is known as someone
who adds a common and spiritual element to his mentor's argument. As an
adult Little Aleksander has become a hulking brute of a man and his
nickname is now simple irony. While being raised in Bravich Little
Alexander learned to speak Solderin from Sister Eva who ran the
- Sedziwoj Skrydlovitch Wolkonski-Koniecpole
- A younger noble son who has served as a constable of
Wallavich and fights for justice and order. His sister was married to
Stefan Dodochesiv and in killing Stefan avenged he believes he has
avenged his sister's death. Sedziwoj is known for having a violent
temper and a strong sense of morality, the two can sometimes become
confused giving him a reputation for unnecessarily harsh punishment or
out and out violence.
- Sergi Argonoiv
- A young boy who was born in Kalkuzhan and has become the
squire of Sedziwoj. He was raised in the Solderin culture but learnt
the northern tongue and ways from his parents.
The Wolkonski-Koniecpole Retainers
These are men who used to serve the Wolkonski-Koniecpole but have been asked to serve Sedziwoj in his exile.
- Larsen Alkoni
- A cavalryman and horsebreaker. He fled the fight against the Witch of Jenka and was found hanging after the battle, an apparant suicide.
- Kasper Król
- A groundsman and hawker.
- Leibowski Lowzi
- A former indentured farmer. Killed in battle with mercenaries seeking a bounty on his master's head.
- Mateusz Tokoff
- A former militia and levyman and soldier in the Wolkonski-Koniecpole retinue. Killed by the Witch of Jenkaz
Allies and Friends
- Anatoli the Bellfounder's Apprentice
- A rising member of the artisan middle-class Anatoli was
framed for the disappearance and murder of his fiance who was from an
upper class family. He was forced to live in the sewers and slums for
years before becoming involved with the hunters of Dodochesiv and
consequently being hunted for heresy and treason. Anatoli's previous
experiences have made him somewhat scornful of social conventions and
eager to seize the moment in every situation.
- "Sister" Eva
- A holy woman within the Amdati faith and considered by some
for potential sainthood when she dies. When a young man she fell in
love with Aleksander Kerenski. Kerenski chose his faith over love but
Sister Eva refused to accept that the two are irreconcilable and
tempers her faith with love as she believes the Albin did with men when
he walked the earth.
The remainder of the Cell
The Brotherhood of the White Hills was formed to overthrow the evil
and tyranny of Count Dodochesiv. They succeeded but the majority were
executed at Jenkaz for rebellion and conspiring to murder the Count.
Ironically the members of the cell who did indeed end the life of the
Count remain free but outlawed. Those executed never knew whether they
had been successful in their fight or not.
- Tomas Pestia
- The founder of the cell and already a committed fighter of
the supernatural before he entered the White Hills. He was considered
"touched" by his experiences but was a good man at arms and seemed to
possess a sixth sense for danger and the dark.
- Soezi Karoweski
- Karoweski was a nobleman from the neighbouring territory and
was the temporal leader of the group. He was funny and easy going while
being deeply troubled by what was happening in the White Hills.
- Okar, Liemt, Marsk
- Gentleman farmers from the county who had either suffered the
depredations of the Count or heard troubling stories and rumours of
what was happening in the keep from their peasants
- A bandit who robbed travellers on the roads of the county. He
saw something he refused to elaborate on in the forests where he was
based that made him a determined opponent of the Count. He was almost a
totally reformed man before his death.
- Toskar Polloski
- A former man at arms with the Cup Knights who had seen many strange things during the campaigns against the barbarians.
- Mattas Rediover
- A young scribe from the Order of the Closed Book who had
studied the occult pratices of the Carthians extensively. He mostly
kept records and wrote letters for the cell as well as organising funds
- A prototype social revolutionary, growing up as a landless
peasant his family were forced to travel around the countryside as
casual itinerant workers. The combination of travelling, hard-working
summers and hungry, cold winters gave birth to a deep desire to replace
the current masters with a system more equitable for those at the
bottom of the heap. Totay is cynical about the Church and Faith in
general, he is anti-clerical and believes that people can only rely on
themeselves. Totay managed to avoid arrest and made his own way to
Jenkaz disguised as an old, blind beggar. He lost all his teeth as a
- A gypsy and wandering minstral; his family were killed and
tortured by the count's henchmen making him one of the most passionate
advocates of vengance within the cell. He was a follower of the Old